Thursday, January 28, 2010

St. Thomas Aquinas (patron of students and universities)


All that I have written seems like straw to me,

like wandering wisps of his hair on fire

that light up this tunnel we call life. I loved

him as if he were corn husks, as if all I had to

do was peel away threads of something dead

to find what I’ve been looking for all this time.

As we pedal our blue bicycles through this

darkness, the light at the end flickers out of view.

On this trail along the river, we are harvests

of muscle hunched over rusty handlebars.

Moments like this are blisters on my palm

like when I try to hold your hand in the movie theater.

When I say try, I mean to say hold my hand open

until you notice and take it softly in your own.


________________________


this poem's first line was written by St. Thomas Aquinas.

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled upon this earlier today, and I have to say it's really something. You should put these together into a book at the end of the year. :)

    I'm not sure how you choose who to do on days with more than one saint, but I'll be looking forward to Edmund Campion (Dec. 1). He's a rather exciting fellow.

    ReplyDelete